You know its fresh when slugs and snails attack!

Had one of my favourite meals last night. A medium rare steak, sweet potato oven cooked chips and a fresh mixed salad. I knew it was fresh as I found a slug in the leaves I had picked off my terrace. It is incredibly easy to grow herbs and mixed leaves and I have a fairly small terrace but lots of sun. So just add water. I was going to add the first of my tomato crop as I had spotted a juicy red tomato of the "tiger" variety.














However a fat snail had munched its way through it before I got there.

Although I was slightly disappointed, the leaves got a good wash and the freshness of just picked leaves and rocket with a simple french dressing cannot be beaten.

The sweet potato oven cooked chips are really simple and really delicious. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into chunk wedges. Add sea salt, a grind of black pepper, a sprinkle of cumin, a few chili flakes and a some decent olive oil. Shake all items around in a baking dish and cook for around 20/25 minutes on a medium heat (200c) until soft which a slight bit of caramelising. You cannot go wrong and delicious with steak.

To cook the steak I used Marco Pierre White's "trick" of rubbing the steak with a mixture of olive oil and a beef stock cube. No salt as the cube has salt and then a sprinkling of pepper. The cube helps a bit of a crust. Cook to taste and see what you think.

Click here for this and other Marco Pierre White tips.

Popular Posts