Floyd

I hadn't really thought to write anything about Keith Floyd, but his passing has been in my thoughts. He was from the South West and spent time in the places in Provence where I had recently returned from holiday. 
 








It turns out his restaurant was in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue which we visited a few times on our holiday. A charming town with water running through it and a wonderful moss encrusted water wheel at one end.

It has a fantastic market and I can easily see what an inspiring place Keith Floyd must have found it. There are wonderful Provence colours in the clay pots and linen, but most of all in the food that fills the market with vibrant hues. Fruit that is genuinely ripe, fresh crusty breads, plump saussicion, aromatic cheeses and glistening olives

I had watched Keith Allen's interview with him which aired shortly before his death and although it was great to see him on TV again, he had lost his sparkle. Having said that there were still moments where he was as unpredictable and vivacious as ever. Still it was clear he was struggling with his health and his personal life was difficult for him.

What made me want to write about him was the tribute on the BBC. It all came back to me and took me back to an innocent time when I first learned a love of cooking and food, but it clearly wasn't trendy.

I used to make fry-ups in the morning when I went to stay with my Dad and discovered his old Elizabeth David book from which I made a roast marinated leg of lamb which I make to this day.

The coolest thing about Floyd when I was younger was that he used the Stranglers music for his titles and incidental music. I still love the Stranglers, but back then they were in their heyday and I clearly remember thinking anyone who uses the Stranglers in his program gets my vote and the fact it was a cookery programme was even cooler.

It was clear from the celebrity cooks and chefs interviewed he was genuinely held in high esteem as much for his personality as his cooking and it was clearly acknowledged that he broke the mould and moved us on from stuffy cookery programmes. In particular I have never seen Marco Pierre White show such reverence and it was clear there was a bond between him and Rick Stein.

I had probably forgotten that Rick Stein's first appearance was on Floyd. Rick Stein with hair! We all had more hair back then :)

I think out of all the celebrity chefs Keith Floyd's spirit most lives on in Rick Stein. They both share that genuine adventure and childlike wonder in discovering new food. They also both have the same exuberance with a slight touch of arrogance and also a tinge of melancholy. I mean this as compliment as I think it is the combination of these characteristics that made Floyd so watchable and continues to make Rick Stein the same.

Ultimately his programmes speak for themselves and are as watchable now as then, which would be hard to say about most other cookery programmes. So that is really his greatest tribute. He was a true original and made the world a better and more enriching place. I have included a few Youtube clips as reminders.

I think I will be one of many having a few slurps for the great man.



Popular Posts