Great Dorset products which are wheat or gluten free

Sometimes I go wheat free. I am not sure how much good it actually does but it is nice to eat a variety of grains.

For those going gluten-free it can be very difficult. Often the alternatives offered are highly processed and akin to sugar flavoured cardboard.

Therefore I would like to sing the praises of the Dorset producer Honeybuns who are located in Sherborne. They produce a delicious range of cakes and slices, which is all you really need to know. But the most important thing is they taste really good and you don't feel like you are being given a second-rate substitute while the wheat and gluten tolerant get the real thing.

I have tried their brownies and Almond Moon slices, both of which are made with gluten free polenta and happily recommend both of them…yum.

Honeybuns had a stand at the Sturminster Newton cheese festival and we purchased a tin which you could fill with a variety of your choice. Excellent present for those avoiding wheat which this was.
You would simply eat them anyway and if you didn't know they were made for particular dietary requirements on being informed you would say "fair enough" and simply carry on munching.

My second recommendation are Dorset Cereals. They are very successful and seem to be in most of the major supermarkets. In this case I am recommending their toasted spelt, barley and oats flakes. Although not strictly wheat or gluten free, spelt as an older form of wheat is said to be more tolerable for some. Personally as per the Honeybuns products I just think it tastes good.

Unless I had no choice from a dietary viewpoint I would rather avoid substitute products unless they taste good in their own right, as both of these Dorset providers have proved.

Popular Posts