Food film in Wimborne

Not specifically about food in Dorset, but a film about food and I did see it at a traditional venue in Wimborne. This is my first visit to the Tivoli theatre in Wimborne which is an original 1930’s cinema and now doubles as a theatre and a cinema.

It had both an impressive screen and sound. At six pounds the price is also very reasonable.

Having said that this is not a food review, they have a nice little bar which served a decent half of bitter supped before the film. They also have the best selection of film sweets I have seen in a while. Not just giant bags, but all your favourites such as munchies and poppets. 

It is really a nice cinema experience. The adverts feel quite retro as they have local ads in addition to the glossy TV style adverts. After the previews the ice cream tray comes up and they serve a local ice cream.

The film we went to see was “Julie and Julia” which is the combination of two stories. The first is Julia Child's story of her start in the cooking profession and is intertwined with blogger Julie Powell's 2002 challenge to cook all the recipes in Child's first book. 

I personally found the Julia Child part of the film more interesting and would have been interested to see what came next after her cookbook was published, having been worked on for something around 7 years.

Having said that I think if you are a person who enjoys their food you will probably enjoy the film more, having said that is it funny and quite moving.

It also had a resonance for me as one of Julia Child’s book led me to become interested in cooking from a young age. She mentions in her film a navarin d’agneau (lamb stew) and I thought I’ve cooked that! I found an original video of Julia Child on YouTube so watch below for a bit of cookery nostalgia.

So I would recommend both the film and the Tivoli theatre. It is really important that we continue support these increasingly rare independent and original cinemas. It just feels so much more personal than the multi-screen chains.


Map picture

19 West Borough
Wimborne, BH21 1LT
01202 849 103

Popular Posts